Saturday, February 7, 2009

A little politics

On the eve of the elections one of the fans of this blog (hey Sarit :)) requested some political ruminations. First of all I have to say that I feel a little lacking in the political arena as I have been watching it from afar for 11 years, so I don't know or remember all the nuances of things that went on here. I also (on principal) have not connected my TV to cable so I do not watch endless news shows, so maybe a lot of context gets lost on me.
However I have found that my tendency to decide not who to vote for but who not to vote for and find the victor by process of elimination is not unique.
This blog post that I am linking to articulates how I feel about this election very well:

http://yaacovlozowick.blogspot.com/2009/02/who-is-there-to-vote-for.html

If you have any comments, I would be happy to hear them.
And once the elections are over - Movie Night!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try as I might, I can never resist a reply to your blog, especially when installing a brand new test server (Don't you love crisis mode on a weekend?)

And to the business at hand. I really liked that reference you gave. I believe most Israelis feel this way right now - there is nobody to vote for. That is what gave the Gimlaim so many votes last round. Unfortunately, our political system has gone bankrupt. Do you remember the days where the 2 major parties would get at least 50-60 mandates just between them? These days are long gone. Nowadays, whoever get elected has to find enough of the small, extortionist parties to join his/her coalition.

So what do we look at? Do we examine the party by the leader, and choose between Bibi/Barak/Livni/Lieberman? Do we go by ideology? Or do we rule out party X, because they will sit with party Y, whom we disagree with?

I have a tough time this year. I don't like anybody. I really don't. But I do have to vote - at least to make sure the ones I dislike stay out. (That's why I went to vote for Huldai, just to keep that hanin guy out).

Anyway, while I wait (and wait) for the IT ppl to sort out my test box, I can join you in one thing - let this thing be over already, so we don't have to hear all the election bullshit. And let's hope Tuesday doesn't rain, so I can vote early and head down to the desert :)

Gilad said...

first of all I don't recommend resisting, it is quite futile :)
I talk to people and they give me their reasonings and everybody makes sense, it comes down to your personal priorities - who you don't want in the government by association, who you think will be less corrupt, support for rights of this or that group of people.
Desert, huh? Sounds nice! No propaganda there. If it DOES rain I will probably be holed up at home with Battlestar Galactica. I bet Tel Aviv will be crazy with day-shoppers...
And good luck with the test server :)

Anonymous said...

You got to love our desert..it's one of the most beautiful places I've been to. I suppose TLV will be filled with ppl..and that's good for the economy. And BG..I haven't seen much of the new series, but I remember watching the old one with my dad..he loved SciFi..I got that from him. I suppose resistance was, indeed, futile :)

Lirun said...

i think we can still make some positive choices.. elimination is a cop out :)

Gilad said...

I agree, Lirun, that it is a cop out, but there just wasn't a positive choice I felt good enough about to say that i would choose them even if the other choices were different.
in a way, choosing the lesser of the negatives is a positive choice (insert dorky math reference here)