Saturday, November 8, 2008

A diatribe

I have to get something off my chest that has nothing to do with Tel Aviv.
It has to do with lazy songwriting.
Although I loved "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce as much as the next guy ("To the left, to the left, everything you own in a box to the left"), I think there should be a rule that you CANNOT, indeed rhyme "minute" with "minute" (Angel you and I discussed this at length), in the immortal lines:

"I can have another man in a minute
in fact he'll be here any minute"

I always felt that was lazy songwriting. Can't you open a dictionary or google a word that rhymes with "minute"??
But rhyming "minute" with "minute" is pure lyrical GENIOUS compared to the following lyrics from a contemporary pop single...

"Womanizer woman-womanizer
you're a womanizer
oh womanizer oh
you're a womanizer, baby
You, you, you are
You, you, you are
Womanizer, Womanizer
Womanizer"

SERIOUSLY, Britney??? It must have taken all of 5 minutes to come up with these lyrics!
MAYBE! Suddenly Beyonce seems like a master-poet. If you're trying to stage a comeback, spend another 90 seconds on your lyrics PLEASE.

That said, it's still a f*cking great song to dance to :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Angel. I looked on the blog today searching for something, not knowing what it was. I know what it WASN'T. It WASN'T for Beyonce. As you know, my goal in life is to have an occasional day without Beyonce. Although these days I feel the same about Gwen Stefani. My goal almost never is realized. Sad.

That being said, at least it is smack you are talking about Beyonce. And if ever there is a lazy songwriter she's it. Although by songwriter I mean she's never written a single fucking song ever type of song writer.

I feel better.

Gilad said...

Angel, I do apologize for not giving you a Beyonce-free day, but I feel it needed to be said.
We can follow up on this over a Cosmo at the remote office in a week and half ;)

Anonymous said...

What are your dates again? We are going to Portland to house hunt from 11/20 - 11/25. Will we see you????

Gilad said...

11/21-11/29 so I'll see you when you get back?? Is it final? You're moving?

Anonymous said...

I really hope so. I really need a change. Since HP is giving us the last 2 weeks of December off - I'm hoping we can use that to move.

And we'll be closer to our Munozes, so that's good.