Sunday, November 9, 2008

An Open Letter

To Bentzi, The television delivery guy who is supposed to deliver my TV,

Dear Bentzi,
No, I am not "harder to reach than the Prime-Minister".
It's just that at around 5:00 pm, the hour during which you tried to call me 5 times, I was on the road on the way back from work and do not have a hands-free device in my car yet.
And I WOULD have gotten back to you ASAP, except for the fact that your number showed up as "unavailable" and that you did not leave message any of those times.
So when finally called a sixth time and I was already home, I was more than happy to pick up.

And so my observation for today is that Israelis do not leave voice messages. It's like you see a missed call from someone and that's an indication that you should call them back.
That's not to say that I don;t get voicemails, but they are overwhelmingly left by one source, not asking me to call back so much as wondering aloud in an astonished and guilt-inducing voice why I have not called my father and her in over 24 hours.

That's all I have to say, now I need to go call my Mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've stumbled upon this blog and been reading it for a while. It's interesting too read about "us" from your perspective. The missed call observation is correct, but it's usually one-way :)

Gilad said...

Hey N,
Thanks for reading and commenting :)
What do you mean by one-way? I've had missed-call-phone tag with friends that has gone on for days. A week went by and we didn;t really know what the other one even wanted!

Anonymous said...

The one-way means that if I leave you a "missed call", that means I'm expecting you to call back - ASAP. But if I see a missed call from you then..well..you want to talk, you'll call again :)

Gilad said...

hahaha that is SOOO true. And Typical.