Sunday, August 31, 2008

Alcohol

From going out to bars and clubs a few times since I've gotten here, I have noticed this difference between alcoholic drinks in San Diego and in Tel Aviv:
  1. Tel Aviv drinks are not as strong. Of course, when you've set the bar at Urban Mo's, I'm not sure ANYWHERE in the world makes strong drinks. It seems they take care to REALLY measure the shot and are not as generous with it.
  2. They don;t like to use a lot of ice. Really. You get maybe two or three ice cubes. And on a hot night on the beach thats not really enough. So I asked for more ice. I got another two ice cubes. I know there's a water shortage in Israel but this is rediculous.
  3. It SEEMS like drinks are more expensive here but I think that's just because of the conversion to shekels. Two Gin and Tonics last night cost about 75 shekels, which at 3.5 shekels to the dollar come out to about $11 a drink. It's certainly not Nunu's, but hell, it ain;t Stingaree either.

Anyway, being the investigative reporter that I am (Brenda Starr has nothing on me), I will continue to look for that perfect combination of cold, strong and cheap drinks, and will report back!

Update: It has been brought to my attention that prepared ice is kind of expensive in Israel. That might have something to do with the stinginess...

2 comments:

Tyler Hower said...

Did you seriously reference Brenda Starr? And, did you hear that Universal will be closing?

Gilad said...

hey I was just quoting a Blondie song (Rip her to shreds).
NO WAY! I thought they were doing well?