Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Standing out

I was at the gym the other day and wanted to use a leg-press machine that was being used by a trainer training a client. I waited until I thought they were done and put my towel on it, only to have him turn around and tell me that they had one more set.
But here's the thing.... he spoke to me in English! Albeit broken-Israeli-accent English.
He doesn't know me, I never spoke to him, for all he knew I was just another guy working out, and yet he had a feeling I was a foreigner.
Hmmm....
Is it that obvious??
I answered back in Hebrew that I would wait, no problem.
But I wondered, do I look that out of place? that different? Granted, I was wearing my Camp Pendleton Mud run workout shirt, but that's hardly a big deal...
My curiosiy getting the better of me, I asked him why he thought he should speak English to me... He answered he just got that impression, maybe because my workout gloves were not available in Israel.
That's not the first time somebody has said or implied that I look American, which is ironic because of my "buy-clothes-not-on-the-continent-you-wear-them" rule, which means that most of my wardrobe was bought in Israel in the last 11 years!
I guess I wear Israeli clothes, but I wear them in an American manner.
Whatever that means.
And it's not a bad thing! I'm all for being different and standing out in a crowd.
I just usually like to be aware of what it is I'm doing that's different :)

2 comments:

Carlos said...

Big Daddy, I think the trainer was trying to impress you, have you ever think of that?

Gilad said...

naaah, I don't think so, although I wouldn't mind :)